Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Hello There Awesome

I'm really enjoying the classes at Studio Calico. So much variety in what they offer each month, there really is something to suit everyone. Alternatively it's a really good chance to try something new, or learn more in depth techniques from some experts. Which is what I was thinking when I signed up for the Mixed Media class last month. (The class has now been and gone, if you didn't sign up at the time then I'm afraid it's too late!) I really wanted the opportunity to get a peek into the design process of it's teachers Anna-Maria Wolniak and Celine Navarro.... you don't get more 'mixed media' than them in Studio Calico land!


So I learned lots of new tricks, and brushed up on some old ones too. I bought a tonne of new supplies, not because of some great sales pitch, but because these are techniques that I already use and will want to use in the future. Therefore I consider it a good investment ;-) That's another thing I love about Studio Calico is that they offer coordinating supplies for each of the classes too, so if you like something then you have the opportunity to stock up!


That saying, obviously you never need to buy anything new - you can use what you already have in your stash. Reinvent some old supplies and perhaps even recycle some scraps. On this layout I ended up using the sticker rubbish from my sheet of Ink Labels as a space for journaling. It was the perfect prompt to include a list, writing each line in the space where a sticker came off. I love that this would have otherwise ended up in the bin, but instead became the centrepiece of the layout (next to that cute photo of course!)


Can you spot the techniques I used in the background? Texture paste, Neocolours, stamping and stenciling. Four fun and messy layers for my background, and then lots of pretty layers of patterned paper over the top, because I still need to stick with what I know works!  I deliberately chose a background paper that was patterned in such a way as to give the impression of even more Mixed Media layers.... it's ok to cheat like that right?


And how's this for exciting? My layout was featured on the Scrapbooking Memories Facebook Page and as such they elected to style it up all pretty-like! Makes it look soooo much better doesn't it?!!


There's two new classes being offered up for July (meaning... you can sign up for them now). The first one is Inked 2.0. Learn 20 new ways to get more from your stamps with Inked 2.0! Lisa Spangler and Tina Aszmus will show you the secret of skillful stamping with a series of videos and in depth tutorials sharing their favorite techniques. Spend 4 weeks exploring twenty new and inventive ways to add unique patterns and designs to any paper project.


While supplies last, Inked 2.0 students will receive an exclusive 4x6in stamp set designed by Life.Love.Paper. This stamp set ships free, no matter where you live. Quantities are limited, so enroll now to reserve yours!


The second class is 'Cameo Basics'. This new workshop will give you an in depth look at how Kelly Noel incorporates her Silhouette into her creative process, and show you five fun ways for using digital die cuts and the Silhouette Studio Software to create custom titles, embellishments and backgrounds for layouts, cards and pocket pages. Special guest Natalie Elphinstone (that's me!!) will be sharing a bonus technique using the Silhouette Sketch Pens.

There's a special offer for this class too, check it out (it ends on the 8th): 
You can find the classroom supplies here.


Yes that's right! I'm actually contributing to both of these classes. But I'm taking them too... because there's always something new to learn :-)


Photobucket

3 comments

  1. this is awesome! Love the flair :) -Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous page...go you, with your MM....I must say, I really like the 'list'...& she is a cutie & it looks FAB all dressed up for SBM, too:):):) You really are having a BALL at SC...good on you;)!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Come back again soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails